The Holy Synod, in connection with the petition of Metropolitan Alexander of Astana and Kazakhstan, decided to open the Iversko-Peter and Paul Convent in the Kostanay diocese in the village of Oktyabrskoye in the Kostanay region and appoint nun Nika (Otroshchenko) to the post of abbess of the newly established monastery.
The candidacy of nun Nika (Otroshchenko) for the position of abbess was presented by the Synod of the Orthodox Church of Kazakhstan.
The opening of the Iversky-Peter and Paul Convent, in fact, was the revival of the ancient Iversky monastery.
The history of the Iversky Monastery is inextricably linked with the foundation of the city of Kostanay (modern - Kostanay). In the families of the first settlers there lived pious girls whose souls were striving to devote themselves to God.
The Central State Archive of the Republic of Kazakhstan has preserved petitions from 1883-1885 "For permission to the villagers of Kustanai, the maidens Anna Zhutova and Fevronia Silantieva with others to arrange a house of prayer." In 1883, the sisters asked to open a prayer house, and in 1884, a monastery. However, the highest ranks in the person of the military governor, Major General Protsenko, refused them in this case with the note that "... to fulfill their desire, they can enroll in existing prayer institutions inside Russia." Another reason for the refusal to establish a monastery in Kostanay was that this would require the allotment of land for buildings, vegetable gardens, etc., and the plot allocated for Kostanay is very small in comparison with the large number of inhabitants in it.
But the sisters' determination to establish their good cause was quite firm.
In the summer of 1887, the settlement of Kustanai was visited for the first time by His Grace Bishop Makariy of Orenburg (Troitskiy). The girls tearfully asked the bishop for a blessing for the monastic feat. But since the sisters lived in the homes of their relatives, the archpastor said that he would bless this community if they lived together. Bishop Makarii's words prompted the sisters to take action – 25 women, having initially no material means, begin to work hard. Two girls, Elena Borodina and Ksenia Sadchikova, sowed bread for several years, and gave the proceeds to provide for the community. By that time, the number of sisters was increasing, which also contributed to a successful outcome for the community to raise funds.
At the end of 1889, Hieromonk Seraphim arrived in the city from Mount Athos. He delivered to Kostanay a list of the miraculous Iveron icon of the Mother of God. The sisters accompanied the shrine to the houses where prayers were served in front of the image of the Virgin, and replaced Hieromonk Seraphim of the psalmists. He, in turn, encouraged the sisters to perform monastic feats and advised them to purchase a house for the community. Hieromonk Seraphim personally found a five-walled house in the Verkhne-Kustanai settlement, which was bought on February 20, 1890 for 615 rubles with payment of money in installments. Six months later, Hieromonk Seraphim returned to the holy Mount Athos and sent the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God as a blessing to the sisters.
At the end of July 1890, Bishop Makariy arrived in the city of Kostanay again and visited the sisters' dormitory, where they asked him to open a community. But Vladyka refused this request again, referring to the fact that, according to the law, material resources and a large plot of land for the construction of cells and household buildings are needed to open a community. The sisters began to tearfully plead with Vladyka, and he, deeply touched by their sincere impulses and seeing their firm determination, told them that they would have to be patient, and instructed the dean and the district chief to convince the residents of the city to allocate land to the community.
In 1892, there was an epidemic of cholera, and then typhus. The sisters selflessly began to show mercy to the suffering: they went to the sick with provisions, cleaned the snow at the houses of the sick, took care of them, and also engaged in the funeral of those who died from the epidemic. Seeing such zeal and sincerity of the sisters, the deputies of the city, after the sisters submitted a petition for the allocation of land for the community on September 21, 1892 to the governor of the Turgay region, decided this case positively. In 1893, 250 dessiatines of land were allocated for the community 15 versts from the city and 6 dessiatines for an estate on the left bank of the Tobol River.
On May 25, 1894, by decree of the Holy Synod No. 2281, the Kostanay Iversky women's community was officially opened, which included 25 women of the peasant class.
By the spring of 1895, there were already 80 sisters in the community; the blind, the poor and the sick found shelter with them. Due to the increase in the community, on May 24, 1895, the permission of the ecclesiastical consistory followed to begin the construction of the monastery church and the construction of spacious cells.
Before the revolution, several dozen nuns and about 140 novices worked in the Iversky Monastery. After the closure of the monastery, many of them remained living in the city in private apartments and houses.
In 1937, mass repressions began, which also affected the nuns. In the case of the "churchmen of the Cemetery Church" in August-November, 39 people from among the clergy, monastics and parishioners were arrested, 32 of them were shot (24 of them nuns) and buried in an unknown common grave, 7 were sentenced to imprisonment for 10 years.
With the blessing of Metropolitan Alexander of Astana and Kazakhstan, the revival of the monastery began. Pilgrims come to the village of Oktyabrsky, who help in the restoration of the community. Cells have been arranged in which monks, novices and sisters of mercy live.
-
The Joy of Confession
Olga Kutanina
All Authors