The mosaics on the bell tower of the Seraphim-Diveevo Monastery in the Nizhny Novgorod region have been restored, as reported by "Nizhegorodskaya Pravda." The arched entrance of the Diveevo bell tower represents the Holy Gates, the entrance to the monastery, with the mosaic in the arch narrating the monastery's history.
Founded in the second half of the 18th century, the Diveevo Convent is associated with the revered monk, St. Seraphim of Sarov, a prominent figure in Russian Orthodox Church history. The monastery houses his relics, preserving his memory.
The construction of the Diveevo Monastery bell tower took place after St. Seraphim's time, in 1893, based on the design by Nizhny Novgorod architect Alexander Nikitin. The five-tiered structure featured the Holy Royal Gates in the first tier in the form of an arch, while the upper tiers were designated for bells. In 1901, bells, including a main bell weighing 8 tons, and clocks playing the melody "Most Holy Mother of God, save us," were installed.
After the revolution, a tragic period unfolded in the history of the Diveevo Monastery. It was desecrated, and the nuns were expelled. The beautiful bell tower lost its dome, cross, and the main bell. In recent times, following the return of the entire monastery complex to the Russian Orthodox Church and its restoration, a new main bell weighing five tons was installed on the bell tower. New clocks, with four high-pitched bells, were crafted, playing the traditional melody "Most Holy Mother of God." Recently, mosaic icons depicting St. Seraphim of Sarov and the Mother of God were added to adorn the bell tower's western facade, while the eastern facade features Archangels Michael and Gabriel. On the next tier of the bell tower are icons of the "Angels of Prayer."
Photo: Department for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of the Nizhny Novgorod Region